[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

30 second penalty for fast grabbing

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Friday, 4 November 2011, at 3:55 a.m.

In the "Ruling" thread started by Stick that's gotten a lot of attention, Chiva posts the following rule which he is using for the tournament in January in San Francisco:

In matches using a game clock. If player B picks up the dice before player A has ended his or her turn, player B is given a warning. If the premature action is repeated the player is assigned a time penalty of 30 seconds. Player A makes his or her claim of the time penalty by finishing his or her turn, then stopping the game clock and presenting the fact to player B. When player B has accepted the fact, the penalty is executed by player A starting the game clock in player B's time. After the countdown of the delay time and the assigned 30 seconds of game time, player B presses the game clock, and then Player A presses the game clock. Now player B is ready to commence his or her turn. If Player A has less than 30 seconds on the clock the clock is set to 1 second. If the premature action is repeated after the clock is set to 1 second the match is lost.

*STANDING OVATION*

This is precisely the rule that I want to see implemented. Nothing will cure the fast grabbing faster than this. If I have this rule about, I can enforce it with no fanfare, and people will stop fast grabbing.

If you have a behavior you want to stop, you need to have an actual penalty. In the NFL, holding is 10 yards. In MLB, catcher's interference gives the batter a free base. I guess holding penalties don't really stop holding, but they sure make it hurt!

30 seconds is not an onerous penalty. Only if you're in the UBK school will it really hurt you, and UBK doesn't fast grab.

Many an Open level player will start their 11 point match with 22 minutes of reserve time and finish with 17:38. You think that 30 seconds is going to kill them? No. So why will it make them pay attention? Because it's visceral... you see 30 seconds tick away. You're that much closer to the brink. Some people burn only a few minutes because they feel like they're playing the match under the gun to begin with.

Please, directors and ABT rules writers, let's implement this 30 second penalty for this infraction, and consider it for other procedural mis-steps. It's got a warning built in, the penalty is not stiff, but I will feel better about it as the aggrieved party.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.