[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why would I play on yet another site?

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Sunday, 15 September 2013, at 1:30 p.m.

In Response To: New online BG server GreedyGammon (greedygammon)

Why another site? What reason to play there? What would make a site special to make me want to spend my limited leisure time playing on an on-line site?

Off the top of my head, here are some things that might attract me:

1. Like Gridgammon, I would want to know that not just anyone can make up a name and get an account. Those sites always have people who are rude, drop games, and are not held accountable for their actions. If the owners of the site truly know who the players are, and can actually ban someone if they are rude or drop games, that would be an attraction.

2. Regular tournaments, and true skill-level criteria so that if I am a good player, I will not have to face a bunch of beginners. That would not be challenging and not force me to play a good game.

3. The ability to download my match to XG--I did not see this mentioned as an option for this site.

4. A site where I know and recognize the players, so I can compete against people I know. Either the nick names reflect the true identity of the player or the player information is required to.

5. Of course the game needs to look good and play well and have features like auto bearoff and auto plays. I like the clock idea...good practice and making sure nobody takes too long.

6. The ability to have exhibitions or seminars with chat that can include comments from the players when appropriate and block the players from seeing the comments and commentary.

7. Finally, the site is best when well-populated...when there are a lot of people there to choose from to play with. There is no point going to a site to play a bot if you are a good player, because you already have a bot of your own.

Show me a site with all that, and I'm interested. Otherwise, why waste my time?

Now, these are just my preferences and not everyone has my preferences. Lower-level players might love your new site just the way it is. In any event, I applaud your efforts to provide something new and different and hopefully better and wish you great success.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.