[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Dropper solution?

Posted By: Rod
Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2013, at 3:53 p.m.

In Response To: Dropper solution? (Bob Koca)

1) 4% of the normal elo change

2) 0

3) 0

Or some modified values. We're looking for a practical solution. Something that might not be perfect but dissuades people from dropping and resolves drops. If people could only have 10 games going at a time this system would not make it all that advantageous to try to game the system, if only because it would require so much effort.

In the case of a 1600 player intentionally dropping they first have to get lucky on their first x rolls, then drop, then wait a week to collect 0.16 elo points. Lets say they use 5 of their 10 game slots for this. They end up gaining 0.8 additional elo per week or 40 elo per year. And while they gain 40 extra elo they rack up a monster drop record and people stop playing them as frequently. Practically, this policy can be modified so that if >10% of your matches (after 100-200 matches) are drops you no longer gain elo and your opponent doesn't lose elo (but the match is settled and your opponent can gain elo at the set rate), until the drop rate falls below that set %.

Perfect? No.

Mathematically elegant? Dunno. Don't care.

Practical? I think so.

And if someone comes up with a way to game this system… modify the system! Punish the offender.

The whole point is that it doesn't have to be perfectly fair from some theoretical mathmatical standpoint. It has to be practical. No superior math skills needed - I only made it through O.D.E. so I can't compete there. I need really simple solutions.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.