[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Comments on the Covlin Story

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Thursday, 22 April 2010, at 1:56 a.m.

As sad and sordid as the whole story unfortunately is, I'm still struck by the comments and responses of some here on the forum. I feel compelled to comment in defense after catching up on my forum reading following five days in Las Vegas. I hope to let it rest henceforth and let the story, and the law, run their courses.

Though I disagree with the USBGF position, I find their stance and their statement wholly reasoned, objective, and professional. As they request of all of us, I do have a tremendous amount of respect and confidence in those on the board; I'm patient and am certain they will act appropriately with forthcoming developments.

My statements (beginning with "http://www.bgonline.org/forums/webbbs_config.pl?read=63986"), in my opinion, were similarly reasoned, logical, unemotional, and non-judgemental. Additionally, I thought the same true of statements by Gregg Cattanach. I was complimented on my statement/position by more than one prominent player in Las Vegas, including one with whom I've more often than not disagreed.

I find it most ironic that those attacking myself and Gregg for rushing to judgement -- despite both of us stating carefully and specifically that we did not know the facts and were not making any judgement -- were, in fact, emotional and judgemental themselves. Where I recognize the basic, uncontested facts of the woman's death and, without details, choose not to judge either side as guilty and/or correct; others have made a specific judgement, without information, that the entire story is bogus and that Rod is not involved.

I know Rod, I regard him as a friend. I hope he is not involved in any criminal respect. I support his every right to exonerate himself. I imagine he, more than anyone, wishes a conclusive resolution to the entire matter -- for his benefit, for his children's benefit, and to his wife's memory however acrimonious the divorce proceedings might have been. All this having been said, I think the basic circumstances certainly merit full investigation -- if only to clear his name and, if merited, to bring a killer to justice, whomever that killer may be.

Without knowing the facts of the investigation, have I, out of hand, judged him guilty, or innocent? -- absolutely not. Have I, out of hand, judged the New York Post and/or his deceased wife's family guilty, or innocent, of lying, slander, etc.? -- absolutely not. Others have.

While I've maintained an objective stance -- recognizing the legal, and moral, concepts of presumed innocence and freedom of speech -- others have judged one party innocent and other parties guilty, and have even gone as far as to call for the suppression of free speech on this forum. Further, they've attacked me for no reason, for acts only they have committed.

Hypocritical? yes.

Color me amazed.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.