[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ruling: Two-fer (Part 1)

Posted By: Tom Keith
Date: Saturday, 5 May 2012, at 1:11 p.m.

In Response To: Ruling: Two-fer (Part 1) (Justin N.)

In trying to justify what I think is the "right" decision, maybe you could argue that Rule 4.6 (premature actions) is intended to apply only in conjunction with Rule 4.5 (lifting dice). That is, neither 4.5 nor 4.6 apply when a clock is being used.

Premature rolling is much more common with no clock and two pairs of dice and presumably it was two pairs of dice that the writers of Rule 4.6 had in mind. Without a clock you don't have as clear an indication of exactly when the turn is over, so it is important to discourage premature rolling. This doesn't apply when a clock is being used.

For reference, here are the rules in question:

4.5 Lifting dice. A player concludes his turn by lifting either or both of his dice. He may reposition the dice on the playing surface to facilitate moving the checkers, but in the event of a dispute he will be at a disadvantage if he fails to give notice to the opponent before doing so.

4.6 Premature actions. The opponent of a player who rolls prematurely shall complete his turn and then either let the premature roll stand or require a reroll. The opponent of a player who doubles prematurely shall complete his turn and then pass or take.

I think any roll you make when your own clock is not running should not count. Player A should finish his turn, hit the clock, and now Player B rolls the dice properly on his own turn and the game continues. (But I admit the rules don't actually say that.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.