[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My position on Premature Rolls

Posted By: Colin Owen
Date: Monday, 4 November 2013, at 2:48 p.m.

In Response To: My position on Legal Moves (greedygammon)

Firstly, I should state that I personally hate players premature rolling. When I've made a move and perhaps started to reach for my dice I DO NOT want their dice to be leaving the cup. If they are, then I have two choices.

One is to continue and pick up my dice, as a result of which I know I will at least occasionally overlook a better - perhaps MUCH better - play. On those occasions I have given in to their pressuring me - whether that was deliberate on their part or not - and they benefited.

The second choice is that I withdraw my hand, and we have two pairs of dice on the board. Am I alone in finding this an uncomfortable situation? If their roll is good, and they have this so called 'Fair Play' attitude, then they doubtless expect me to pass up my right to annul their roll - particularly if their roll won the game/match for them!

I play in most BIBA events, and I told Director Michael Crane not long ago, that I will always make them take such a roll again. So, I make it public now that if anyone fast rolls against me, whether my move was forced or not, they will be taking it back. (This assumes that the tournament rules allow this. If they don't, then I would have reservations about playing.)

I agree with the rule that gives the opponent the right to annul such a roll, even though my position is that I will always annul it - regardless of whether they might pick and choose whether to annul my own (hypothetical) premature rolls. Because, for some years now, I have very rarely done so. In fact, I can't recall the last time. I aim to NEVER do it again.

So, if that hypothetical player rolled her 6-6 against me, she would indeed be taking the roll back - and likewise if she rolled a NON-WINNING number. There is no doubt in my mind that my position is fair.

As to whether players should exercise their right to annul such a winning number, then that certainly should be influenced by any previous history. Even if there was none, then if a player feels that they would have annulled the roll whether or not it was winning one, then I totally respect their right to annul it if it was. The premature roller, who got her 6-6, will be the one who has created this horrible situation, all for the sake of saving a second or so, in a match that may well have taken the best part of an hour, or very much longer.

I reiterate what I said in a recent post, that players should take more care, and try to follow the correct procedure.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.