[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Is there a future for the Giants List?

Posted By: Petko
Date: Saturday, 20 February 2016, at 9:15 p.m.

I have a great respect for Yamin Yamin and his team for all the work they have done since 1993 managing the Giants List. Many great players have been honored over the years and that was great but the list has never been and never will be perfect and players will always complain and think that it is more like a popularity contest rather than a true ranking of the best backgammon players in the world.

If we want to acknowledge somebody for the great work he/she has done to promote backgammon we already have a Backgammon Hall of Fame and some of the great backgammon people are already inducted (ideally the hall of fame should extend to the whole international backgammon community).

If we want to see who has the best PR in the world we now have the BMAB ranking and any player can apply and see how he/she compares to other players. If we want to see how players rank based on Tournament Results, we have the Larsen-Silliman ranking system in USA, and other countries have their own systems. Therefore I truly believe that it is time to abolish the Giants List and move on. It had served its purpose very well for twenty years, but now it has become outdated and unnecessary.

Of course, this is just my opinion from my perspective, and I appreciate that others will have other perspectives and opinions.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.