[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

USBGF: should the coup be bloody or bloodless?

Posted By: Carter Mattig
Date: Friday, 18 August 2017, at 6:57 a.m.

Hey kids, sorry I'm late! Is it ok to treat this like festivus? I wish to start with THE AIRING OF GRIEVANCES...

Let's start slow. I am all for dictators consolidating power, but for fuck's sake isn't the mission of the USBGF to actually grow backgammon in the US? I mean, our home page has the appeal of a 1950 geometry book. Where is social media? Where are things that actually will attract new blood? Quick, let's make a big splash with a dice on checker rule so Neil and Dorn can get an extra 10 seconds in their time bank! Hey, how about a $25 magazine? It's glossy! Hey, I made a soundtrack for the USBGF..anyone have an 8 track player handy?

There are those that have worked very hard, and I do appreciate the work. But isn't (or shouldn't) the goal be for the Federation to attract people from outside, not dictating to tds how they should operate? I thank every tournament director for putting up with me (one exception) and try to make it an enjoyable time...but the one rule that the Danes have which I think needs to be employed by us is the first one: Fair play above all. That seems pretty obvious, but it isn't. And for the most part tds have been awesome at implementing at it for decades now without the USBGF. Why does it seem now that the goal is for more work for the tds enforcing a new set of rules that until just now they had minimal impact on?

How the hell do we move away from p40, who has to be the largest contributor to the USBGF that we have ever had? Is it because one of the creators is in trouble with his other company, which is a. complicated and b. has fuck all to do with p40 or backgammon? I understand that our former titular head is still incarcerated for murdering his wife, but this is where we draw the line? Loyalty used to count for something, or even not knee jerk reacting and giving Tom Buckner a chance to appeal? Nope, sorry buddy. Thanks for the 6 gs you gave us to buy the ABT, that's a gift you don't get back as we sever all ties...well, not ALL ties because then we would have to give you back the money that you gave to be a founding member. I mean, what the actual fuck?

So here is the deal: I want the backgammon community for the US to grow. We need to start throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks. Feel free to send any ideas to me at cartermattig@gmail.com. I have ideas. Some crazy as hell, and some that will make a fuckload of sense down the road. This is going to work, but I am not sure that the organization is up to the task. I've been waiting years to see things change; hell, I was one of the first to propose the federation. I also stated that Rod probably wasn't the right guy to head it at the time, but who listens to me when the guy already put money in an account. But I and others will get sponsors. You will meet some in Vegas next April for those coming to the Las Vegas/Carter qualifies for seniors tournament. And we will have publicity. And maybe get some fucking interest back in the game. I am inspired by Frank Talbot's speech in Pittsburgh so many years ago...this is a war. It's time to start fighting it.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.