[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Sportive Cubing

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Thursday, 29 November 2012, at 8:02 p.m.

In Response To: Sportive Cubing (Colin Owen)

You make an excellent argument and it all makes sense to me. I have found, however, that radical changes like this (it will greatly change MET's and take points and cube strategy) is virtually impossible to get people to accept. Keep in mind that most of the tournament directors, top players, and leaders of federations and associations are people who have played the game for many years and when you come to an idea that would require them to re-learn a major part of the game and change their habits, it is almost like you are proposing incest. Why don't you propose your idea in person to a group of top, experienced players and please be sure to video tape the looks on their faces. You will see how nearly impossible it is to make changes like the one you propose, EVEN IF it is an improvement to the game.

How do I know this? I have tried, many times. And that is why the rules and guide we recommend has very few real "changes" to current rules and policies. If we included your idea and a few others I believe would make the game more challenging and fair, the entire document would be tossed out and rejected immediately.

I think the best you can hope for is to convince some tournament director at a local event to try using your approach and see how the players respond.

That's what I have done with "The Simborg Rule" which I think is a major improvement to the game (you can't make a point or run with 6-5 on the opening move). It was used in side events at many tournaments. The players had no problem adjusting, all agreed it made the game more interesting, challenging and fun and took away some of the advantage of getting a great first roll, but I doubt it will ever become the rule of the game. Why? Because it is different. New. Not because it is worse.

We all have to choose our battles, and I personally think I will have better success convincing my wife that going to Cleveland for a backgammon tournament is a more fun vacation than a Mediterranean Cruise.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.