[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

"Dead" cube illegal?

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Monday, 4 November 2013, at 8:38 p.m.

In Response To: "Dead" cube illegal? (Tom Keith)

Yes, the score dictates if it is allowed or not. I didn't make that clarification. If the cube is at a level (ALREADY) that allows both players to win it is a dead cube and it is not legal.

So it is a dead cube (and an illegal play) in situations like.

2away, 2away cube already on 2

4away, 4away cube already on 4

4away, 3away cube already on 4

6away, 7away cube already on 8

1away, 1away cube unturned.

etc.

In those cases BOTH players already have enough points to guarantee the match ends and thus the cube is considered dead.

In cases where one of the players already has enough points to win at the current level and the opponent doesn't then these rules actually allow such cube:

2away 4away cube already on 2, leader cubes

4away 8away cube already on 4, leader cubes

2away 3away cube already on 2, leader cubes

3away 5away cube already on 4, leader cubes

etc.

Because the MATCH isn't guaranteed to be over (at the current level) it is considered legal in the latter examples.

I doubt that this was the intention of the original dead cube rule. My guess is that it wasn't worded properly. If it was deliberate, then not sure what people were thinking.

The new Horton/bower/Simborg rules have no such exemptions except with regards to Crawford rule. From my reading of the rules all the examples above would be considered legal cubes.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.