[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

"Dead" cube illegal?

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Monday, 4 November 2013, at 10:32 p.m.

In Response To: "Dead" cube illegal? (Michael Petch)

Michael asks: "What rule (We are talking the current USBG/ABT ones and not the Simborg/Horton/Bower ones) specifically says that a match can't end on a drop?"

None. That's why I wrote "even though the rules say nothing about that."

Everyone knows the rules are not perfect. The rules themselves acknowledge that they cannot anticipate every possible situation.

Although I would not ever suggest that the rules cannot be improved, I think that going over the rules to find everything that isn't specifically outlawed and thus might possibly be ruled legal by someone, and must for that reason be corrected, is misguided. I'd still like to know if sticklers for following procedures and punishing offenders, like Bill Davis, would advise a new player to take full advantage of every single procedure error his opponent makes, since that seems to be a logical conclusion for that kind of thinking. But there are some rulings that so offend one's sense of propriety and intelligence. Not that we all agree on which situations have clear rulings in the absence of rules that aren't clear, but I do think this is one. A TD who ruled that a match can end with a dropped cube shouldn't be running tournaments, in my opinion.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.