[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

"Dead" cube illegal?

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Monday, 4 November 2013, at 8:52 p.m.

In Response To: "Dead" cube illegal? (Tom Keith)

Tom, hard feeling can occur because one other problem I highlighted in the other thread with Bob was that the same USBG (ABT) rules allow a MATCH to end on a drop. The USBG completion rule doesn't prevent it.

So the following situation is completely legal (but IMGO unsportmanlike way to win), and within the rule of the law:

2away 4 away, cube on 2. Leader recubes to 4. That recube is legal by the letter of the rules. Trailer drops the cube which is also legal given the letter of the rules. Match is now over.

The guy who is trailing realizes his mistake. The guy leading wants his win. So as TD, if people here think what Herb did was okay, this is completely legitimate too. IMHO it is a scummy way to win but a technicality that exists.

Personally I think that there are fewer conflicts or fewer people puzzling over why the leader is cubing when they have enough. I say the dead cube rule keeps some level of sanity in the play and one knows what is sportmanlike.

If you don't have good dead cube rules then this argument can break out - 2away,4away cube on 2, leader recubes to 4. Leader realizes his mistake after cubing but before the opponent makes a decision. He points out his error to the opponent. The opponent can say "tough luck buddy, the rules don't say I have to be fair about it so I am taking". Having a proper dead cube rule I believe is a saner alternative.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.