[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Introducing Myself

Posted By: Adam Torkelson
Date: Friday, 21 February 2014, at 5:22 p.m.

In Response To: Introducing Myself (Daniel Murphy)

I agree with this. I do not consider an entry fee as gambling. And I do not consider a monetary prize (or a prize of a valuable reward) as gambling either. This is just tournament play for points and the doubling cube is not for gambling purposes, but for keeping track of points. The amount of money one puts in cannot be "raised" and the prize money doesn't go up either. They stay fixed.

To me, gambling would be playing a money game and the cube is used for actual raises in money. The amount one puts in and the amount one stands to win changes as the game progresses.

I also agree that backgammon is not strictly for adults. Just go to your local toy store and see. Toys R Us is filled with poker sets (complete with chips) and backgammon sets (complete with doubling cubes) marketed towards children. Just taking a quick look at their website verifies this.

This whole situation to me seems similar to my children buying tickets at a carnival and paying those tickets to play a game for a prize.

But I do think we must consider the laws of each state. If this sort of thing is considered illegal, obviously we can't do it. But, if it is legal, my opinion is that there is nothing wrong with it.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.