[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon Masters Series (BMS) Group Organisational & Structural Plan

Posted By: Rick Janowski
Date: Tuesday, 16 December 2014, at 5:27 p.m.

In Response To: Backgammon Masters Series (BMS) Group Organisational & Structural Plan (tuvi)

Are you saying that any transparent reliable system of rating players must also bad? I do not understand why should maintaining some false reality under a mist of "luck" be beneficial to our game. We have had bots now since the mid 90s who cleared a lot of false knowledge, and opened up the game to wide areas of complexity and study, enriching our game immeasurably.

Most of the backgammon players I know from decades of playing have desired this "elusive" truth in all aspects of the game, but especially including their relative standing. Not all of course. There are always some Ostriches, Predators, and Fish Farm Managers who prefer fog.

Backgammon is thrilling because of the luck factor but challenging too. Finding the optimal move time after time amidst the flux of shifting strategic and tactical goals, all magnified by the luck element makes the game continually exciting to those who are or aspire to be experts and masters.

When the Danes created their norm-based mastership system several years ago, creating IMs and GMs, the fundamental aim was to raise the profile of the game to the players, the media, and the public and to benefactors and sponsors. It worked for them. They got it right! We can too.

I don’t see this as a Win or Lose situation at all, if we shift the interminable fog, it’s a most emphatic “Win Win” situation!

Those players, who do not feel interested by this approach, are in no manner forced to subscribe to it. Quite the contrary! We are instigating a new approach where the PR-enthusiasts can get together now and again holding small tournaments out of view of those players who are resolved to be negative.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.