[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon more of a "game of skill" now than in the past?

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Sunday, 11 January 2015, at 8:45 p.m.

I have a friend who is very interested in games generally but not necessarily backgammon in particular, and he was intrigued by my opinion that backgammon is undergoing a shift from being a "gambling game" to being a "game of skill." He wondered how widely this opinion is shared, so I am throwing the question open to BGO readers.

1. In your opinion, has backgammon undergone, and/or is it now undergoing, a shift from being primarily a gambling game to being more of a game of skill? To clarify, I am talking not about the rules of the game changing, but of the way the community of backgammon players views and treats the game. Roughly speaking, a "game of skill" is something like chess or go, for which tournaments are conducted to determine who is most skillful at the game, while a "gambling game" is primarily played in order to bet (and hopefully win) money on the outcome of the game. Also, I'm thinking primarily of changes over the last 30 or 40 years.

2. If your answer to question 1 is yes, what do you think are the main factors that have caused this shift?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.