[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ranting. Metric System. Touch Moves.

Posted By: Keene
Date: Friday, 6 December 2013, at 5:44 p.m.

In Response To: Ranting. Metric System. (ah_clem)

I think the popularity of the Farenheit scale is that it's an intuitive zero to 100 scale. Most places, zero F is about as cold as it gets, and 100 F is about as hot as it gets. 2/3rds to 3/4ths (67 to 75) is the region where people are most comfortable. If you think about it that way it makes more sense.

Can't do it. Sorry. Arbitrary numbers. Lets use 145 instead, then about 100 would be comfortable. Ridiculous.

I would also like to apologize for hijacking this thread that was supposedly about a compromise to touch move.

Similar to Fahrenheit, Touch move is ridiculous. I need to physically see plays. For whatever reason, my brain is much more able to dismiss terrible plays when I see them on the board. When I visualize them in my head, they dont look nearly so bad.

Touch move works fine for chess. You only get to move one piece at a time, there is a more limited number of pieces that can be moved, and their moves are more finite. You are better able to visualize a chess position with one piece moved. Backgammon has up to 4 checkers that could be moved in one play. Thats a whole lot different.

To my mind, touch move is NOT (firmly) something that should be added to the rules. I agree that checker shuffling can be annoying, and result in misplays, illegal plays, however, improving ones mechanics for looking at multiple plays is all thats required to solve that. We arent all able to play touch move, and our opponents should cut us some slack, since they themselves will have surely gone through the same mechanics changing that we should do.

I believe that "reasonableness" should be our keyword here. We should be reasonable about these things. There are so many ways to hammer a touch move player within the rules of touch move, and they would all be unreasonable.

There are some rules that need to be changed. Things like Legal Moves etc. Clocks to an extent. This is not one of those.

To me, its so ridiculous to play Touch Move that I am surprised it gets so much attention. What the hell.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.