[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Training on errors

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Friday, 3 January 2014, at 10:45 p.m.

In Response To: Ken’s rating proposal - the problem with rebuys (Bob Koca)

UBK: Would that lead to just recognizing the position when you see it? That would not be so useful and is not the same as knowing it as a reference position.

It might lead to recognizing positions, except I can generate errors pretty fast. The last match I played online was an 11 point match... I played a slightly better PR than I usually turn in. I made 17 errors, 6 of them blunders.

At that rate, I can generate a huge database of positions that I've erred on in real play. By huge, I mean thousands of positions. At that rate, I need 60 matches to get 1,000 errors, and I'm playing far more than that in a year... so it won't be long before I can get 10,000 errors. I'm just not going to remember too many of those positions, ESPECIALLY if the quizzing system ensures I don't see a repeat too often.

As far as your second point, you're right that it's not the same as a reference position, but I still think it's the best way I can train. While I have some idea of what systematic mistakes I make, I really can't categorize them all, and besides which, I make big mistakes of all types, in all facets of the game. Since I can't determine a type of mistake I'm making, taking plays in which I actually erred and using them to quiz myself is, I think, a good training mechanism.

Right now, I'm not doing much more than analyzing the match on a strong setting, and looking at every error I make. 99% of the time, I don't take it any farther than that, because to do so on a large scale requires organization that I do not possess.

I've had thoughts of doing this on paper, but it's just so cumbersome, and the bottom line is, I'm probably never going to do it. But if there's a web interface to a database, there's a chance I will dump all of my errors there.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.