[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

You were talking about me.

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Thursday, 13 February 2014, at 2:48 p.m.

In Response To: Online PR vs Live PR (David Rennie)

Dave: "Maybe I have a neurological issue. I should see Oliver Sacks. The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Baffle Box."

I'm the guy who gave up his wife for a baffle box.

Yes, playing on an old, or too small, or crappy board can not only make the game harder, but it makes it less enjoyable. If you are going to spend the time and money to go to tournaments, it's silly not to invest in a decent board of your own...so if you do have to play on crap it's your own fault. And you don't have to buy a $1000 + board to have a decent board to play on. There are plenty of nice boards in the under $400 range.

How much have you spent on your golf clubs? How much have you spent on books and lessons and software and travel and hotel rooms and entry fees? Why the hell not bring a good board?

I know I go "overboard" but I have a Zavoral, Brazilian, hand made special leather board, a Gammoner board from Germany, and an FM Board. I have had several Taki boards. I have a Chrisloid board that has been recovered with gaudy felt and huge checkers. I have a round backgammon board.

I thought I was one of the premier board collectors until I met Bob Stoller, from Alaska, who I interviewed for PrimeTime Magazine. He has several dozen boards including several that cost in the thousands.

Name that fettish!

So, buy yourself one good board, and if you are at a tournament and someone asks to use your board at a time when it might conflict with a time you might need to use it, tell them, as nicely as you can, to go jump in the lake. I go out and spend good money to get a good board and schlep it across to country on trains, planes and automobiles and some cheap jerk who lives down the street and doesn't bother to bring a board wants to use mine and tie it up so I can't use it when my match starts...give me a break.

So you had to play on a crappy board. Who's fault was that?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.