[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Fives Reasons Online PRs Are Lower than Live PRs

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Wednesday, 12 February 2014, at 8:35 p.m.

In Response To: Online PR vs Live PR (Keene)

Some apparently play better live than online. Petko and Falafel may be two examples who have lower PRs live than online. Undoubtedly, there are others who focus more and try harder when playing live than online, resulting in lower live PRs.

I believe most probably play better online than live. Here are five reasons:

(1) At a tournament, you sometimes have to play when you are tired, after two or more days of long grueling matches. Online, you can choose to play only when you are rested. I believe my PR is lower on the first day of a tournament than on the second or third day.

(2) Knowing the pip count online is a big help. You do not have to expend any energy online to get the count. Knowing the count online helps you make better checker plays, whereas when playing live, you might not take the time to get the count in all situations. I usually keep a running count when playing live, but many players do not.

(3) Some players get nervous and feel the pressure when they play in a money-round match, or in the semis or finals. This may jack up their live PRs.

(4) When clocks are used in live matches, some players use their time unwisely and get low on time. Others may be uncomfortable in playing with clocks. This may be a factor in jacking up live PRs of some players. There may be some online sites with clocks, but GridGammon, where I play, does not have clocks. I would love it if GG would give us a clock option.

(5) Last and hopefully least, there may be some who consult bots when playing online. This usually results in PRs that are lower online than live.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.