[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

We already know the answer

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Wednesday, 12 March 2014, at 3:56 p.m.

In Response To: We already know the answer (Michael Crane)

Since adapting LM only I have had a pretty easy time directing Biba tournaments. It has even brought about an outbreak of sportsmanship.

This needs to be shouted from the rooftops. An outbreak of sportsmanship is good for everybody, old and new alike. We should all want a culture where backgammon players insist upon good sportsmanship. The fights in backgammon should be where somebody mistakenly redoubles when they're two away, and the other guy says, "No, I insist, you should not double that -- I don't want to take advantage of your silly mistake" and the redoubler says, "No, *I* insist, I made a mistake, I should be punished. Please take the cube." What a great problem to have.

I'm trying to be that good sport... just the other day in a club tournament, my opponent held a 2-cube, leading -2/-6, and he started to pause before his roll to think. At first I said, "You probably don't want to redouble that." He said, "I dunno, I might, let me think." Before he could redouble, I said, "No seriously. Don't redouble. That cube is already enough for you to win the match." He finally realized his mistake and we had a good laugh. Isn't this how you all want to play backgammon?

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.