[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Excuses / Reasons

Posted By: David Rockwell
Date: Tuesday, 28 April 2009, at 4:20 p.m.

In Response To: Error Rates (Stick)

I agree, of course, that a failure to count all matches when quoting one's ER is BS. However, excuses or reasons for a poor ER can be meaningful when using ER feedback in trying to improve.

When playing Snowie at home, I have a nice low ER for 3 point matches. It is a little higher for 5 point matches and a little higher still for 7 point matches as would be expected. When I get to 9 point matches, the ER takes a quantum jump. After ages in denial, I have finally concluded that this is NOT because I wasn't really trying. It is because of some combination of physical conditioning & focus. This is very relevant information for live local and ABT events. It probably isn't an accident that my best year in live backgammon was the year that I was carrying the least amount of weight. I have concluded that I need to spend more time on the treadmill and less on GNU if I would like to see my results improve. I also need to reduce distraction and satisfaction with past achievments while I increase concentration and desire to win. Or, tying back to the previous thread, it is more important for me to "bring it" every match than to increase my knowledge base. If my ER sucks because of my excuses, that means I suck.

If you have an excuse for poor play, don't exclude it. Take ownership of the excuse, get rid of it and play well.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.