[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Error Rates

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Tuesday, 28 April 2009, at 10:21 p.m.

In Response To: Error Rates (Jason Lee)

I think he'd tell you "I'm an excellent backgammon player".

Seriously, I believe such a player would probably have a true error rate of something like -1.5. Meaning outplaying GNU 2-Ply by 1.5.

Lets say that some top human player plays with an ER of 3.0, then right away he needs to overcome an ER difficiency of 4.5 against Rainman. How much is the human factor worth? Depends on the opponent, but not anywhere close to an average of 4.5 IMO.

Top humans anticipating cube errors and complicating positions will never match technically perfect play in an open tournament. Perhaps it might against some fish in the first round, but once the field shrinks and there are few fish left, these human factor advantages start to evaporate and we are left with Rainman clearly dominating the field.

It must be clear that everyone is a dog head to head against Rainman himself. And that is a tough advantage for anyone to overcome.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.