[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

At what ER are you considered a fish?

Posted By: Frank_N_Stein
Date: Wednesday, 29 April 2009, at 8:42 p.m.

In Response To: At what ER are you considered a fish? (Bill Riles)

Well said Bill. Let me share something ... when I was in my teens my dad saw me playing 25/50 cent poker with the boys. He called me into his office when the game was over and had that father and son talk,

He asked me what I was doing in the game? I said playing poker and won a little. He replied, you were not playing poker, you were gambling and taking a chance hoping to beat the rest of the fish. He asked me to think about that for a while and come back later to tell him what it meant.

I have to tell you that I had no idea what he was talking about. Later that night I had to confess I did not know. He sent me to bed with another question; "What is the difference between a gambler and a professionsl?" For christ sake I was only 19 at the time. How am I suppose to know what he is talking about?

The next day he gave me this lesson. A profession is a person who knows the game of poker inside out. He knows every tactic, every strategy, every nuance of the game. He knows his odds and probabilities of what is likely to happen. He knows and understand his opposition better than they know themselves, and he never makes a move without completely knowing why he did it. By doing all of this, the professional plays on skill and reduces his luck. This does not mean he will always win, but when he sits at the table he has the best chance of walking away with the other players money.

Then he looked me in the eye and asked; "Do I need to explain what a gambler is?" I replied, "A gambler is a person that does not do all the things a professional does and he is risking his money by hoping he gets lucky."

He said, "That is partionally right. A gambler is a person the pro's call fish!" Unless your'e at the very top in skill level, your'e a fish!

With that he shut up and walked away.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.