[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Error Rates

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Tuesday, 28 April 2009, at 8:48 p.m.

In Response To: Error Rates (Matt Cohn-Geier)

Past performance is largely the best indicator of future skill IMO.

I think a better indicator is: past skill is an indicator of future performance.

We seem to roughly agree on "performance" -- it's all about winning matches and/or winning tournaments. It's the definition of "skill" that's slipping through the cracks. I can't give a complete definition of skill, but I want to say that playing with a low ER is ONE component of skill. I have not said, nor will I ever say, that it is the entire component of skill.

Most people confuse "performance" with winning tournaments or money or something...you can have a high match/money winning percentage and not win a tournament for awhile if you don't put a streak on over a weekend.

Depends on what your goal is... do you want a high winning percentage, or do you want to win tournaments? Isn't the ultimate goal to win tournaments? You could turn out a record like 14-3 in an ABT tournament and not cash. Do you think you were successful? I don't think you were.

Winning matches is a decent indicator of skill, provided you have a large sample size. This reminds me that I wanted to go back and see my overall winning percentage in ABT events (excluding any side events, of course).

Winning tournaments is a fairly poor indicator of skill, since there's so much luck involved. I've won more ABT events than Stick and MCG put together.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.