[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

An argument for touch move?

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2013, at 9:47 p.m.

In Response To: An argument for touch move? (Bob Koca)

As an opponent of a touch-move rule, I have adopted Tom’s approach. I keep an offset between a checker I am moving and the other checkers at its destination (or the wall of the board). The only exception is distance. I use a fingertip’s width. That is more than enough separation.

Regarding the match between Ed and Phil, I second Sam’s observation that it is an argument for not touching the board during your opponent's turn. (That includes grabbing a checker you think I might hit, and placing it on the bar.)

I am also in sympathy with Mary’s point that touch-move may have unintended consequences that can be as bad as the errors caused by checker shuffling.

One difference between backgammon and chess is timing. With only 12 seconds (plus bank time) to roll your dice and then evaluate a move in backgammon, you are forced to touch something — anything — much sooner that in a standard chess match.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.