[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Director's action?

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 24 June 2013, at 4:20 p.m.

In Response To: Director's action? (Daniel Murphy)

I am a strong believer that the overriding responsibility of the TD is to see that the game is played fairly, honestly, and nicely. As such, there is no rule, written or implied, that takes precedence over this concept.

The TD is given great power, as a result, to take (or not take) action he deems appropriate to make sure of this overriding concept. While I am not about to tell the TD what he should do in any individual situation, I will tell you that if I were a TD or a player, and there is a possibility that a match in progress might have a wrong score or score discrepancy, clearing it up as soon as possible would be the fairest and nicest way to handle it. Saying nothing, and waiting until the match has ended, and the possibility that someone may have won or lost because there was a scoring error, does not seem very nice or fair to me if it could have been corrected.

Yes, the players are responsible to keep the correct score and verify it with each other, and yes, they should check to see they are playing to the right score, and yes, they should be playing by the correct tournament rules as posted, but if they get mixed up, make a mistake, or even intentionally decide not to follow the proper rules or procedures, the TD should at least be informed and given the opportunity to decide how he thinks it should be handled.

In my many years of tournament play, I have seen TD's make decisions that I believe were wrong and I have seen them fail to take action where I would have, but a) that doesn't mean I was right, and b) well over 95 percent of the time I have seen tournament directors make excellent rulings and say and do many things that helped the participants have a better, fairer experience. If they are not informed, and not given the right to take immediate action when they feel it is warranted, it would be a real shame.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.