[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Director's action?

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Monday, 24 June 2013, at 10:08 p.m.

In Response To: Director's action? (Stick)

Ok, I now see what your point about what Jason wrote is. I don't agree. I don't think one scoreboard is a substitute for two scoresheets under US Rule 5.1.

The first sentence of 5.1 requires "each player" to keep "a running match score" and requires every player to "compare" the running score he keeps to the running score his opponent keeps." The second sentence warns what may happen to a player who does not "not [keep] a written log of the score."

I think the "written log" of the second sentence is the "running match score" of the first sentence. I also think the rule requires two players to keep two running scores, which must be compared to each other; if there's only scoreboard, there's nothing to compare the scoreboard to. I also think a "running score" is a tally of each point as it occurs, made and maintained in such a way that it displays the history of the points scored, and must necessarily be written (a computer program that used the same display form could be used).

Accordingly, as a substitute for scoresheets a a scoreboard fails in two ways. First, it is one score record shared by both players; but the rule requires both players to keep separate scores and to compare one to other at the start of every game. Second, a scoreboard only shows the current score, but no history.

There may be directors who think that the US Tournament Rules as of 2009, which nowhere mention a scoreboard, allows one scoreboard in place of two written scoresheets; if so, I do not agree with them. The more recent World Backgammon Association Rules (2011), which does address scoreboards, specifically requires that even when a scoreboard is used, "players are still obligated to keep the score on individual scorecards" and "double-check both score-sheets before start and after completion of each game."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.