[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Good ruling/Bad Rule

Posted By: Tom Keith
Date: Sunday, 1 September 2013, at 6:55 p.m.

In Response To: Good ruling/Bad Rule (Phil Simborg)

Should the rule be changed? I don't think so.

I think that the opponent should bring attention to the illegal play on his own time. Here's why

1. We (as rule writers) don't know who is right and who is wrong -- maybe it is the opponent who saw the dice wrong.

2. Doing the pointing out on his own time gives the opponent incentive to do it in a timely manner. Besides, it won't cost him anything if he can do it before his own delay is up. (As always, if there is a disagreement, both clocks should be stopped until the disagreement is resolved.)

The Danish rule about letting the delay time run down seems like an unnecessary nuisance. It delays the game by a few seconds and doesn't stop the player from thinking during that time anyway. I say keep it simple.

Yes it is possible that somebody could intentionally make an illegal move in order to get a few extra seconds of thinking time. It's a slimy practice, but it's not going to make a big difference. If it happens over and over again, the opponent should call the director.

I like Neil's suggestion of calling the director or staff member when one player is very low on time.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.