[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I have decided I don't like playing legal moves and here's why…

Posted By: Rod
Date: Monday, 2 September 2013, at 4:03 a.m.

In Response To: Good ruling/Bad Rule (Phil Simborg)

I'm happy to play legal moves with someone I trust but tournament-wide it's a problem. And I even had a problem with someone I trust entirely.

So, with random people the problem becomes…. You might be corrected only when it benefits your opponent and not when it hurts them. One fellow who was playing a one point quicker quickie with a woman (I was watching because I had winner) didn't correct her misplayed 3's when it was to her slight disadvantage to play incorrectly. I KNOW he saw the misplay (I saw the slight reaction - and he was quite on top of his play and hers). The equity difference was almost insignificant (definitely less than 0.01) and he took the equity advantage - no way he's correcting anyone for a significant hit to his equity if he slimes for <0.01.

But I correct my opponents wrong plays always and without fail. Karen Davis got her 5-5 (to my large equity hit) after she mistakenly played 5-3 and I corrected her.

But the problem I had and feel bad about was with Alfred Mamlet. I was sort of playing doubles simultaneously along with masters (approved by Jeb before starting). I was watching my partner play and Alfred made his play and hit the clock. Alfred had played 4-3. I grabbed the dice not having seen Alfred actually make his play or seen whether he touched the dice or moved them. Also, I wasn't paying that much attention when I grabbed the dice, still half focusing on the doubles match. As I lifted them I lifted them as 4-4. But, again, I could have nudged them or knocked them as I went to grab them. I mentioned it to Alfred. We couldn't be sure but ultimately I felt that Alfred had seen the dice land, thought about the play and focused on the board… and thought he had a 4-3. He would certainly have been in a better position to know than would I. (Tough argument to anTD…. Ummmm… my opponent who didn't really pay attention seems to think I may have had a 4-4 but I really thought it was a 4-3, so can I have the 4-4?).

Anyhow, legal moves tournament-wide seems to favor slime… so… why play this way? Make each player pay attention and reward players who actually do so. Dunno.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.