[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Regardless, the IMPORTANT issue is...

Posted By: Barry Silliman
Date: Thursday, 5 December 2013, at 1:12 p.m.

In Response To: Regardless, the IMPORTANT issue is... (Rod)

I was waiting for somebody to bring up reason #2 against online master points. (Or at least against mixing them up in the same bucket as master points earned in live play). I agree with reason #1 that it is just flat out too easy to cheat online in the comfort of one's home.

But don't we want the master points system to encourage live attendance? Giving masters points for online play that are commingled with live points discourages that. This is the most important reason I'm against it. Even if we knew with absolute certainty that nobody would ever cheat online, I'd still be against it because I don't want it to be a substitute for live attendance.

Let's look at the economics of this from the USBGF's point of view. Would they rather have 10,000 dues-paying members that played exclusively online or have 500 dues-paying members that played exclusively live. (Obviously they want both constituencies but I think my hypothetical question indicates why online master points are in the proposal).

I think I'll take Joe's advice and ignore the "Online" column in the table.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.