[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Cheating and the farcical nature of MP awarded for online, non-proctored play

Posted By: Rod
Date: Wednesday, 4 December 2013, at 11:53 p.m.

In Response To: USBGF proposed master point system (Stick)

If I was either A) 100% certain the person cheated or B) my current 99% and it was for $ or an important match (some non-trivial round of a competition) then I would post it.

However, I'm not posting to call someone out on their cheating - I simply won't be playing this person again.

The issue here is people's propensity to cheat. http://www.caveon.com/why-we-cheat/

My guess is that some large percent of players cheat at least occasionally. There's no proof I can offer as to that statement. There are no blind-questionnaires I can point to. Students who are asked if they have cheated (any form of academic dishonesty, basically) report a high rate of having cheated. They report that they know of someone, personally, who has cheated at a rate almost 20% higher. They even lie about cheating, an interesting and common result.

I think that online cheating is under-estimated. I think awarding points for online play makes those points virtually meaningless. Even less meaningful than however meaningless (or meaningful) they supposedly are. They become farcical.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.