[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Leave PJT alone

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 1 December 2009, at 7:18 a.m.

In Response To: Leave PJT alone (Chiva Tafazzoli)

The only safe way to play for money on line is with friends and with people you know. 20 some years ago I played every day on Fibs in a $25 chouette...we all knew each other and didn't have to worry about payment. Wait....the game did break up because we discovered that one of the players who won consistently was using JF. And there were some problems collecting from this guy in Alaska as I recall.

So a few years later I hosted my own, private chouette, with only people I knew and trusted from all over the U.S., and it was really fun. This one guy sure played great, and he won just about every side bet...wait, he won every side bet he ever made with anyone. His name was Hank Youngerman (Red Top) and after getting suspicious and setting some traps, Paul Weaver and I combined to expose him as a clear cheater. Has anyone seen Hank recently?

Yes, he showed up in North Carolina at a club there and used an assumed name until he was recognized and thrown out of the club by the Director, Ken Larsen.

So when is it safe to play on line for money? I play heads up on line for money all the time with a few close friends. Last week I was redoubled...I wasn't quite sure of my take point, and on the wall, right in front of me, were the take points and price of gammons for the redouble at that score. I actually had to put my hand over my eyes to keep from looking.

The temptation to cheat and the rewards for cheating are just too much for most people to handle. I wonder if I would have glanced at the wall if the guy I was playing wasn't such a good friend? Of if I suspected he might be cheating? Or if the stakes were 10 times higher? I like to think I wouldn't, but again, not everyone has my values or my honesty-price (everyone has their price!).

Listen to Chiva. DON'T PLAY FOR MONEY or for ANYTHING important on line.

I do plan to set up on-line competitions between college teams some day, but there will be a monitor (teacher or assigned official) in the room to make sure there is no cheating.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.