[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Summary of Lehmann views

Posted By: Keene
Date: Tuesday, 1 December 2009, at 4:57 p.m.

In Response To: Summary of Lehmann views (Frank_N_Stein)

Frank N Stein: I have a question; would an online backgammon pro play for stakes of $5 or less on a daily basis to grind out a living?

Depends how much effort you are willing to put in to grind out the living. Smaller stakes, more games, better long term prospects. Higher stakes, fewer games, higher volatility.

So, from my perspective, it depends on your comfort level. I personally prefer playing on the lower end of the scale, but do not exclude playing for more (and often do). I find that weaker players tend to prefer playing at lower levels (there are more weaker players that play in the low ranges), and thats my best opponent - someone that I have a distinct edge over. The rakes are hard to beat otherwise.

Its only when you are losing a bunch of games that you are a 55-45 (for example) favorite in that you appreciate that you are only meant to be winning 55/100 games. Thats a tough way to beat a rake.

However, I am not an online professional grinding out a living. I have a full time career, family etc, and can only play for maybe a couple hours a night (at most).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.