[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Congrats to the finalists and some thoughts

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 24 May 2013, at 2:38 p.m.

In Response To: Congrats to the finalists and some thoughts (mochy)

If you give too much money to the best players, in the long run, you will make a lot less money, Mochy. How much more would you make if they paid more places and you had 3 times as many people playing. Am I exaggerating? Maybe a little, in the short run, but in the long run look how few are entering major tournaments and even fewer entering the Masters. Why, there were even some Giants that could have easily made it to this event but the risk/reward was part of the reason not to play.

I can play golf or bowling against better players and get a handicap to at least compensate for part of the difference in skill. In backgammon, of course lots of people believe the luck factor gives the poorer player somewhat of a chance, but we both know that according to the odds, and in the long run, there is no way a 5.0 PR player is going to make money against a 3.0 player like you.

If more places were paid, and if the entry fee were reduced (and keep a couple of side pools for people like you to get more action), I GUARANTEE that in no time at all you would see a greater return, overall, than you do now.

I have tremendous respect for your skills and what you do for the game, and for your opinion in most areas, but here, I am sorry, I believe you are being very short-sighted and in the long run, it HAS ALREADY PROVEN TO BE WRONG.

I RARELY enter the masters events even though I have traveled all the way across the country to be at the tournament. Why? My odds of a reasonable return on a $500 entry fee when almost all the players are of giant or near-giant quality are terrible when only 3 or 4 places are paid. But lower the fee to $300 and have a $200 side pool and give the final 8 at least their entry fee back and I'm in....EVERY TIME, and a lot more people would be too. And when you win, you will end up with a lot more money than you are getting now because the total pool would be much larger and you can still participate in the side pool which most of the weaker players will opt out of.

DO THE MATH. And if the same thinking is applied to all events, see how many more players will come to tournaments...watch tournaments grow instead of shrink.

Sorry, Mochy. I love you, but this time you are wrong.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.