[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Too much dilution..some math

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Thursday, 30 May 2013, at 4:50 p.m.

In Response To: Too much dilution (neilkaz)

I wrote "With that in mind, I'm OK if you consider paying 4th/5th main when your bracket of 64 is nearly full, but please don't pay 5th/8th conso."

Here's some math to try to support my points.

Currently your event pays 7 places, 3 in the main and 4 in the conso and if we use the ABT pt scale, shares are paid as follows 8/4/2 main 4/2/1/1 conso and the winner gets 8/22 of the total payout.

Now if you pay 4 more places in the conso, the shares become (I'll keep the winner at 8) 8/4/2 4/2/1/1/.5/.5/.5/.5. Now the winner receives 8/24 of the payout so one may wonder what the problem is,since the winner's payout is only cut from 36.36% to 33.33%. But where do we draw the line?

Here's what the problem is. It is that those four 0.5 shares really aren't getting much. 0.5/24 is 1/48 so they are only getting 1/48 of the total payout.

Note that your rake is a very reasonable 15% so the return is 85%. Lets say that there's only 55 players (rarely is 64 filled) and you're paying 5th/8th conso. Hmmm.. 55 x .85 /48 = 0.974. OMG those players aren't even getting their full entry fee returned! What's the point...I clearly don't understand!

Please don't do this and paying 20% of a field of 55 is too many and not neccessary, IMHO. It dilutes every other prize by about 1/12...where do we draw the line?

Now what about paying 4th/5th in the main? Those are the losing semi-finalists of the bracket with one loss. Payout is now 8/4/2/1/1 4/2/1/1. Other prizes are again reduced by 1/12... once again where do we draw the line? But note here that 4th/5th at least get back almost twice their EF typically so that is something reasonable.

However, I am not opposed to paying 4/5th in main when you have nearly a full bracket of 64 and if the conso drawsheet can be reworked to be one round shorter since two players now no longer need to feed into it. There are also benifits to getting those two out of the main in case one or both is still in a side event and they may even be out in time to play Sunday doubles.

So, to summarize my opinion. 1) I am very opposed to paying 5th/8th in your conso. 2) I am neutral to the idea of paying 4th/5th in the main. 3) I don't see the need to pay a prize to someone that isn't at least close to twice the EF.

.. neilkaz ..

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.