[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Too much dilution

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2013, at 8:24 p.m.

In Response To: Too much dilution (neilkaz)

I agree totally, Neil.

We've had a number of people comment about the entry fees in San Antonio and I always attempt to explain the rationale.

In San Antonio we had essentially zero local players -- essentially everyone travelled to the city and stayed in the hotel.

So, perhaps -- counting travel, hotel, food, and entries -- the average Advanced player invested a $1,000 and the average Championship player invested $2,000.

If we raised our entries $50 in the Advanced and $100 in the Championship (above an assumed ABT average of $150 and $300, respectively) then we could increase our prize pools by 33% while increasing the expenditure of the typical player by only 5%. Recognizing this great leverage, we raised the entries as we did. This enabled us to have significantly higher payouts and let a number of players cover their expenses, or more -- even in the Advanced Division. This oftentimes is not possible at many tournaments, particularly for players travelling from out of town.

As I said in a post earlier today (or maybe yesterday), some tournaments (such as LA and Chicago) have a high percentage of local players -- where in San Antonio we had, essentially, no local players. For many local players the entry fee vs payout leverage does not exist. So, different considerations must be employed.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.