[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ohio State ABT Results/and a question

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 30 March 2015, at 4:06 p.m.

In Response To: Ohio State ABT Results (Stick)

Another fun tournament, well-run generally good vibes. Nice to see people from New York and CT there for the first time...even Carter for the first time...even though he got ABT points and increases his lead on me in our private bet.

Bill Calton showed great stamina to come back and win the event after going into the losers bracket, and he was graceful and a gentleman in victory. I am equally in awe of David Rockwell's handling of a tough defeat, losing two in a row after going undefeated. A true gentleman and showing how a great sportsman is supposed to behave in defeat.

A special thank you and kudos to Julius High and Karen Davis who signed up many, many new members for the USBGF. I have no idea how many, but they both did a great job, and the money-added idea for tournaments is certainly a brilliant way to encourage membership and reward membership.

I had a large, active, engaged crowd at my lecture, and part of the reason is Joe's scheduling it late enough in the morning and with enough time to do it right. Everyone there participated. Several people asked me for copies of my sample positions afterwards which I have sent out to all that asked.

One thing perplexes me. Some tournaments the player from the loser's bracket needs to win twice and in some, just once. I have heard good arguments for both and I can't decide which is fairer. I think they both have merit.

If I were forced to decide, I would only have them play once, because it is more exciting that way and because the player from the loser's bracket did have to win a lot more matches to get to the finals. But I would simply have a different split of money. Maybe if the undefeated player wins he gets 2/3 and the loser gets 1/3, but if the player coming from behind wins, maybe the winner gets 60 percent and the loser gets 40 percent. I am not about to say to tell anyone how the ABT points should be awarded, but if the points follow the money, then this is clear, but if the ABT wants to do it another way, I am fine with that too.

Anyway, I wonder what the thoughts are here about this issue?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.