[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ohio State ABT Results/and a question

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Monday, 30 March 2015, at 6:49 p.m.

In Response To: Ohio State ABT Results/and a question (Phil Simborg)

It is equally likely to make the finals by being undefeated or by being the only player alive with one loss, of course.

That being said, this is still a difficult question. Treating them both as equals just doesn't seem perfect to me since one guy didn't lose. Having the defeated have to win twice while it seems fair, isn't really since both are equally likely to make it to the finals. Also this can result in time problems to finish the event if the event is just a normal day and a half weekend event.

While the ABT point distribution won't change, I think maybe the best solution is to play one finals and give the previously undefeated a monetary bonus.

So lets assume a fair and typical 66.6667% for the winner and 33.3333% for the finals loser. What percent compensation, if any, should the player with one loss pay to the undefeated if only one finals match is played?

Well if there's two finals, then the based on a 2:1 payout ratio, the undefeated's equity is 7/12 and the one loss's equity is 5/12. Of course if there's one final then both have 1/2 or 6/12 equity.

I'd not be opposed to a compromise if just one final is to be played. If we average the above figures between the two methods we have the undefeated's equity as 13/24 and the defeated's equity as 11/24. To make things an equal monetary compromise between one final or two, the once defeated player could pay the undefeated 1/24 regardless of who wins. This could be rounded to 4% if preferred. I'd not be opposed to this.

So, lets look at this compromise in action. Lets say a smaller DE event but with one final and $4500 combined between 1st and 2nd. So now the once defeated player pays the undefeated $180 no matter who wins. Of course, true equity difference is 1/12 of $4500 so again, this is a compromise.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.