[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My vision of the future - 500 people at a tournament

Posted By: Ken Larsen
Date: Monday, 2 December 2013, at 5:30 p.m.

In Response To: Sandbagging (Bob Koca)

Bob,

You're right. If we keep moving people up to the Open Division, it could get pretty crowded.

My vision of the future is one where backgammon becomes so popular, that as many as 500 people will try to enter a tournament. With that many people, it's not practical to have just three divisions (Open, Advanced, and Novice). You'll have to separate them into Championship, division 1, division 2, division 3, etc. The best way to assign who goes into which division is by their rating. The top 32 go into the Championship, the next 32 go into division 1, etc. ... like sliced bread. I did this when I directed an IBM Raleigh employee golf tournament for 13 years. Attendance kept rising. In my last year (1987) I had 308 entrants who I divided into 25 divisions. That was an insane number of people for a golf tournament. That could happen to backgammon if we make it attractive and fair enough.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.