[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Masters events - What???

Posted By: Keene
Date: Thursday, 26 December 2013, at 10:21 p.m.

In Response To: The airing of grievances (Joe Russell)

Regarding using Masters events as ELO scoring (to clarify, Masters events in the US, not EU / RoW where that means something different).

It seems to me that to use those events is wrong. If you are going to use side events as ELO changing criteria, then it should be all side events that an individual plays in (not doubles). The thinking behind using a Masters event to award points of some kind shouldnt be that they are 'longer matches' against 'better opponents'. That limits every other event. Also, to rebuff some more, the whole 'better opponents' is a pile of crap - the accurate way to say it is 'more monied opponents'.

So, in general, I disagree with using Masters events to adjust ELO on, IF you wont use blitzes, jackpots, quickies etc too.

Also, how does the USBGF system differentiate between handling Masters matches at the 'qualifying' level, and main event level?

One of the reasons that I raise these questions is that I was thinking that I find the Masters events to be a little cash prohibitive. I would personally enter more if they were cheaper to get in to - I know, that reduces the appeal of the event, the prize money and so on. I also know that an extra $400-$600 isnt going to break me, but with the total costs of attending a tournament already busting through the $1k mark for many players, adding an additional 50% on to that to play in the Masters is somewhat prohibitive - at least for me, and likely for many more players.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.