[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Masters events - What???

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Saturday, 28 December 2013, at 5:29 a.m.

In Response To: Masters events - What??? (Henrik Bukkjaer)

I'm a big proponent for inserting new players on estimated start ratings depending on what they sign up for (or previous history), but unfortunately I haven't convinced DBgF to do this.

I agree with that, and most else of what Henrik says. And thus my suggestion for fixing the USBG rating list would be:

Take the total membership list. Note what percentage of players played the first time in each division (Open, Intermediate, Novice). Assign an admittedly arbitrary starting rate to each group of players such that the average starting rank remains 1500. For example, if the player pool was 30% Open, 50% Intermediate and 20% Novice, one solution would be:

Open 1700, Intermediate 1500, Novice 1200

because (1700 * .3) + (1500 * .5) + (1200 * .2) = 1500.

Start new players at the rating corresponding to the level they first play at.

Recalculate the entire database of the five years of recorded match results with every player started at the appropriate starting rating.

And: get rid of the FIBS-like boost for TMP<400, because what the boost does, in the ABT player pool, is reward a handful of people who happen to get lucky (because they won a tournament) and, very often, play few tournaments annually (especially intermediates).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.