[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

It was really bye - forfeit - forfeit.

Posted By: sita
Date: Wednesday, 15 January 2014, at 2:33 p.m.

In Response To: It was really bye - forfeit - forfeit. (Henrik Bukkjaer)

In fact, this line of thought is from the concept of seeding strong players if you have a precise estimate of player strength (such as a precise ELO rating). Say you have a 32 player field, with 4 strong giants in it.

While I like you way of distributing byes, I strongly disklike seeding. Even though everything is correct what you say, there is another big problems which outweighs in my eyes the advantages: The giants themselves have devinitely an easier way to the top, than the other players.

Let' look at an example with 2 giants. It's easier to see in such an example, even though the argument holds also for 4 giants. If you seed these two, every giant will certainly not meet the other one before the final. Every other player will definitely meet one of the giants before the final.

If you draw all players randomly. For a normal player the chances to see 0, 1, or 2 giants before the final is (roughly) 25%/50%/25%. For one of a giants, it is (nearly) 50% to meet the other. So, the non-giant meets in average one giant before the final, which is exactly what also happens with seeding. But one of the giants meets his counterpart now with a probabilty of 50%, and not 0%. 50% is still less than 100%, because he cannot meet himself, which is ok. But reducing this 50% to 0% is in my eyes unfair.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.