[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A difference in the rules--what's your take

Posted By: Robert Chow
Date: Monday, 24 March 2014, at 10:12 p.m.

In Response To: A difference in the rules--what's your take (phil simborg)

7. Your opponent states if you double he will take. If you then double, should he be obligated to take or not?

I have two different views on this, as a tournament director and as a gamesplayer.

As a tournament director, I believe the rule should be: All oral declarations are binding. This rule is used in almost all poker rooms which I played in recently and with the house dealer present, easily enforced. A player announcing that he will take or pass before his opponent acts, should be obligated to do so if doubled. Furthermore, there should be a rule (if not already in place) to prevent or discourage any attempt to disturb or influence the opponent's play.

As a gamesplayer, I have a very different view on this issue. In both backgammon and poker I have encountered many players who routinely engaged in this crude type of psychological warfare. However, these players fail to realize that by using these seemingly clever tactics, they are simply making themselves more exploitable. So, I don't mind if someone announces ahead of time that he wil take my double and I wouldn't hold him to his "word" (or idle chatter). "I don't believe in psychology. I believe in good moves." - Bobby Fischer.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.