[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A difference in the rules--what's your take

Posted By: Tom Keith
Date: Tuesday, 25 March 2014, at 7:38 p.m.

In Response To: A difference in the rules--what's your take (Bob Koca)

Do I have it correct that according to the definitions from Tom Keith's post 6/off is impossible in the first position and 7/1 is illegal though not impossible in the second position? Why should there be a difference?

"b. A checker is removed from the board at a time when it is not legal to bear off a checker."

What I had in mind here is it is "impossible" to remove a checker from the board when you have another checker outside your home board or on the bar.

Also, do I have it correct if playing LM with the impossible moves rules the only difference is that a subsequent roll lets an illegal though not impossible move stay but an impossible one must still be corrected? Is it a reroll then? What if neither player still noticed. Is it then game on with no more correcting?

I would say that if either player can make a credible case that the impossible move caused him to make a different play than he otherwise would have made, then play is backed up to the point of that player's confusion, he makes his alternate play, and all subsequent rolls are rerolled. Normally this won't happen. The idea of an "impossible" move is that it is so obviously wrong that someone is sure to notice quite quickly.

If no one can remember how the impossible move happened, there is nothing you can do but let it go -- similar to a board that has been set up wrong.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.