[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The next major revolution in backgammon bots

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Wednesday, 9 May 2012, at 5:40 p.m.

In Response To: The next major revolution in backgammon bots (eXtreme Gammon)

Expecting human beings to be willing to play bots in tournaments is too much to expect, I think.

Given the current state of artificial intelligence, I think the main problem is that computers are still far behind human beings when it comes to inferring things from limited data. Where computers shine is in statistical analyses of large amounts of data.

In other words, a human player who is good at exploiting weak players can size up his opposition after a relatively small number of games. But even if a programmer were to work hard on the project I outlined, I suspect that the program would need to play thousands of games against a particular opponent (or at least be given access to thousands of games played by that person) before it could develop a reliable model of that opponent. The payoff, though, would be that the program would then have implicit knowledge of all kinds of features of the player's style that would not be obvious even to an expert human. By carefully watching the program try to exploit those weaknesses, one could then potentially extract powerful insights into the player's strengths and weaknesses that we would otherwise have no good way of obtaining.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.