[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

It's not about me

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Tuesday, 28 January 2014, at 7:28 p.m.

In Response To: Side Pools--New Ideas (Dmitriy Obukhov)

I have no idea how much more equity I would have in a side pool that includes Giants and one that does not. But it is clear that I would have more equity, and it is clear that I am more likely to get into the side pool, and it is clear that more often I would walk away with more money if the side pools were dileneated. But what about players who are not as good as me? What about players who care more about an extra $100 or $200 than I do? What about players who might not come at all to tournaments because they fell they have so little chance of cashing but might come if they can see a little better chance of getting some bang for their buck?

And again, unless this takes money out of the main pool, it doesn't hurt the top players at all.

Now, in the short run, I really think it could make a couple of people not get into the main pool if they could get into a non-giants-only pool...but I think that number is small and in time, and overall, the Giants will make much more simply because there will be more people in the tournament. By the way, there are Giants who don't get into the side pools and don't buy back in Calcuttas. This is not all about money...people are playing for enjoyment and competition and points and status...not just about the money.

But people also don't like being taken...they like a decent chance to get something back in return for competing. A side pool for the second tier players helps do that.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.