[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Low Entry Fee? How about No Entry Fee?

Posted By: Matt Reklaitis
Date: Thursday, 30 January 2014, at 5:47 a.m.

In Response To: Side Pools--New Ideas (Taper_Mike)

Wasn't there an event (London Open?) which had no entry fee and attracted plenty? And kudos to Jeb for trying the same idea in Charlotte last year for the advanced division - I'm hopeful something like that could work to attract players. There's still a fee btw, but its a small registration fee to cover organizer's expenses. And this format works well with a side pool.

Instead of fearing the giants because it costs you money, it should be a thrill to get to play against them, knowing anything can happen and you can still win.

I actually think more barriers could be removed, like providing equipment so beginning players don't need to invest in boards and dice and clocks but can still feel comfortable showing up. That's too much investment for an individual director, but possibly within the means of the USBGF.

Of course, this assumes there is untapped interest out there... and I'm not sure there is. So something else ("insert magic here") might need to happen first to generate the necessary interest.

And maybe a no entry fee event will never appeal to the regulars. (It's pretty much how the bridge world works tho.) That's ok too. It still might have value for attracting new blood. And in that case, it will take an organization like the USBGF for it to happen.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.