[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Early vs late round byes

Posted By: Matt Cohn-Geier
Date: Tuesday, 29 October 2013, at 3:56 a.m.

In Response To: Early vs late round byes (David Rockwell)

I don't get why early round byes are more effective at dealing with entitlement to compensation. Sure, everything would make more sense and be 'fairer' if one had a perfect bracket. I am in favor of perfect 2^n brackets over late round byes. But given an imperfect bracket, why are early round byes fairer than later round ones? Either way you play fewer rounds and have basically the same draw, it just happens that one person gets a bye instead of say, 8, whom out of those 7 lose.

There might also be some differences with a consolation draw, particularly if the loser of the 3-player bye gets fed into the conso, but I am talking about single elim here.

I don't get the whole argument of a bye "into the money" vs one that isn't into the money. The bye side gets into the money later on anyway. I'm not going to tell you personally which tournaments/events to attend or not, I just don't get the problem.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.