[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Solution - Auction the Byes in the first round!!!

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 29 October 2013, at 2:39 p.m.

In Response To: Solution - Auction the Byes in the first round!!! (Bill Finneran)

That is exactly what we did at the ACS event in Chicago...we had 13 players and there were 3 byes and they went to the 3 people willing to pay extra for those byes. We then had a calcutta, knowing who had the byes, and those three players, of course, went for more in the calcutta.

Some might argue that those with more money to spend get an unfair advantage, but there is also an argument that there is now more money in the prize pool for the rest of the players.

I thought this is a great way to do it for a private, invitational event.

For an ABT event, however, do we really want people who have more money or are willing to spend more money to have a greater chance to win ABT points? I don't think that is fair or appropriate.

The same is true if you end up with 3 players at the end of the tournament. You should not be able to buy ABT points.

So the answer is, in my opinion:

1. Put the byes at the beginning and try to end up with an even number of players at the end.

2. If you end up with 3 finalists, then have a 3-way playoff. Don't give anyone a bye. Each player plays the other two say, a 7 point match, and if there is a clear winner, he is the winner, and if the other two tie, they can play a 5 point match for second/third. If there is a 3-way tie after one round, then play another round of 3 point matches. And then 1 point matches.

It would be a very exciting finals; it would not take too long (with clocks); and it would be completely fair to all.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.