[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Early vs late round byes

Posted By: Matt Cohn-Geier
Date: Tuesday, 29 October 2013, at 2:59 a.m.

In Response To: WOW ..an uncompensated bye was given into the finals of an ABT event!! (neilkaz)

I really don't get the problem with late round byes. You need 2^n players to have a perfect number of matches, and sometimes you don't get that. Whether you write the drawsheet such that the bye occurs in the earlier or later round is basically irrelevant, you still have the same draw. You could probably rewrite the drawsheet that was used in CT such that everyone on the bye side had early round byes instead of one late round bye and still have the exact same tournament that was run, it would just be a minor headache to do it.

Compensation vs. no compensation is another matter, but people only talk about compensation with a late round bye. Early round byes have the same problem. If you're upset about compensation about late round byes, why not compensate those who didn't get early round byes too? Except nobody is doing that and nobody seems to want to. In any case, it's all fine by me, as long as it is stated up front.

I don't think there needs to be a special ABT formula. A guy wins Vegas, but he only played 5 matches instead of 6 because he got a bye. Apparently nobody sees a big problem with that nor needs a special formula to handle it. But if organizers/directors want to split ABT points differently over byes, and it's stated up front, sure, why not.

There are some advantages to early round byes: you can take any number and fill a 2^n drawsheet. Like if you only have 29 players, say, that is an awkward number to give a late round bye to, since it happens to be prime. On the other hand, if you allow late round byes, you can keep filling the drawsheet to a multiple of 3 or 5 or whatever.

TL;DR: I see no problem whatsoever with uncompensated late round byes. Sorry if you didn't get one. That's how it goes.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.